I was recently telling a good friend about something and thought "hey... wait... this would make a GREAT blog entry" so here goes:Last October on a Saturday afternoon I settled in for a nap on the couch. About thirty seconds later I realized just how cold it was in the house so I got up and turned the heat on for the first time of the season.
A couple minutes after I laid back down a shrieking alarm went off. As I went through the house trying to find which smoke alarm was malfunctioning I was horrified when I finally found the offending alarm. It was not a smoke alarm at all. It was our carbon monoxide detector. I unplugged it from the wall and turned the furnace off.
A half hour later I wanted to be sure so I plugged the carbon monoxide detector back in and turned the furnace back on. It wasn't long until it was blaring again. I shut the furnace down for good.
On Monday we had a repairman (who we happen to know) come out to look at it. It took him less than two minutes to find 3 or 4 things wrong with our very old furnace and then he declared it dead. We then had to go through the process of picking out a furnace and making the arrangements with our friend for his crew to come in and do the work. He wanted to do the job right. We wanted it done right too. It's an old house. It had never been done right.
Doing the job right meant installing a furnace adequate for the house and also running some new duct work. He threw in central air at no extra cost to us which has proved awesome this past summer. With excitement and smiles we told our friend "Do what you need to in order for it to be right."
A few days later I came home from work knowing they'd be there installing the new furnace. We were excited as it was growing colder and November was approaching. We live in an area where terms such as "lake effect snow" and "snow belt" MEAN something.
Anyhow, I could hear the guys working upstairs when I walked in the house. I figured they must be running that new duct work.
We only have two bedrooms in our house but since we raised all girls it was never an issue. At this time last year when this furnace was being installed our oldest hadn't lived at home for a few years. Our youngest was away at college. Our middle one?? Engaged to be married and still living under our roof.
What I found when I went upstairs into the girls' room made me lose my breath and darn near have a panic attack!! There was a perfectly round 6 or 8 inch hole in the wall. When I looked through the hole guess what I saw?
I freakin' saw MY TV on the OPPOSITE wall of my bedroom. Here they were running the duct work up into the closet of my girls' room and then putting a T shaped pipe on the top to run it into both bedrooms. Typically these type of vents would go high up toward the ceiling but for a reason that doesn't even matter had to be installed lower in our house. These vents are at eye level and ours is right over our bed.
My sex life flashed before my eyes at that moment. Spankings were rare anyhow back then... but sex? We were pretty good at being quiet.... but now being quiet wasn't even going to help. I knew though that in eight months our daughter would be getting married and moving out. If it hadn't been for that...
if my girls had been small... I think we would have had to move.THIS is why my empty nest means so much to me.
And you thought maybe I just didn't like my kids or something, huh? LOL
We envy your privacy! Our A/C vent in our room is high up, above the door. But... the vent connects directly to the other bedrooms... so when the AC is not running, the vent acts like a telephone to the other rooms. Can fix that, to some degree, by keeping it on.
ReplyDeletebtw, I rather imagine the kiddies would scream in horror if they ever heard us, and knew what we were doing... lol.
-Todd & Suzy
Decisions, decisions. A/C or sex, A/C or sex, I wonder if you answer would have changed with the seasons? Glad your girls are mostly on their own and only visit for short stretches.
ReplyDeleteHave fun and keep cool!
Elis
I'll be an empty nester soon too. I am at least glad you can now have noisy sex and spankings!
ReplyDeleteTodd and Suzy~ These two rooms are so closely connected that even running the air all the time wouldn't stop the slightest sound from carrying.
ReplyDeleteElis~ If I had KNOWN their duct work plan I wouldn't have allowed it!!! You should have seen the look on Adam's face when he saw it!!
Theresa~ Yeah but we still worry about what the neighbors might be hearing. I really need to move to the country!!
Eva
Dang how loud do you get????
ReplyDeleteLovely post Eva thanks.
ReplyDeleteWe had the whole upstairs of the house soundproofed as we lived close to a busy major road. So noise was never a problem.
We were never blessed with children unfortunately so that wasn't a problem either.
Big hugs,
Paul.
Theresa~ Well not THAT loud LOL but our houses are really close together. When they wash their car I have to close my kitchen window or they get my floor wet... and honest... it's not intentional on their part.
ReplyDeletePaul~ How do you sound proof a house? Not really needed here now but there was a time...
Eva
Eva - there are real advantages to being an empty-nester. Unfortunately I wasn't able to take advantage of them since my marriage was on the rocks by the time my youngest went off to college. We lived in an old farm house in the country (I still do) and it was anything but soundproof. In the happy days of our marriage we were always worried about the kids overhearing our lovemaking Now, living alone and in the country, I have all the privacy I need... and nothing that I need to keep quiet!! Life can be so ironic.
ReplyDelete*hugs* and ♥ --SuZQ
SuZQ~ I'm so sorry. That must have hurt a lot. One day soon though I'll bet you're making more noise than ever!!! LOL
ReplyDeleteEva