Wednesday, November 8, 2006

Wearing Masks


Warning: PPA (Pity Party Ahead)

We all do it.

It's not that it's intentional but sometimes we put on a mask and pretend to be something or someone that we are not. Or perhaps it not quite as bad as that. Maybe we just put on some makeup to conceal the blemishes.

Either way we all have surely wanted to look our best. Hopefully though that would never involve out and out lying. God forbid. I've never lied on this blog. Why should I? If I were to lie you'd all surely find me out sooner or later so I see no point. I have, however, used a bit of concealer.

Why would I do that? Probably for the same reason you do it too. If we're honest most of us try to put our best foot forward here in blogland. And that's okay. There's not a thing wrong with presenting our best to one another. Truth be known, I've grown to love all of you. And I trust you enough to now reveal some of the blemishes.

Why? Why am I choosing to tell you these things? Well there is a point and I will get to it.

Eventually. I'll get to it eventually. This might turn into one of my longer posts. It's okay if you leave. It's also okay if you stay but you might want to grab a cup of coffee or a diet SODA. I promise that this post will not cause you to yuck up your monitor.

Okay so what am I concealing from you? My physical self. My mental, emotional, spiritual self... well you all know that side of me fairly well. It's easy to show that side of me here in writing but what you may or may not know is that nearly 20 months ago, I kicked a 2-3 pack a day smoking habit. It was tough. I won't lie. Those around me ~ including Adam ~ to this day are astounded that I quit. I was addicted with all I have.

I threw temper tantrums if I had to go much more than half an hour without a cigarette. So here's the part that's really hard for me to talk about. Four years ago my weight was at an all time high. I busted my patooty to lose a bunch of pounds. I was looking as good as I could at the time.

Okay so here's another issue. I have never ever viewed myself as attractive and to this dayI don't have a clue how to handle any type of compliment ~ not even from Adam ~ because I plain and simply don't believe a word of it. I will say this though... even though I have never viewed myself as good looking I can look back on pictures from 20 years ago and say "not bad." I couldn't say that then though. If that looks good compared to now, God help me as more time passes.

And that for sure is NOT why I'm writing this post. I am not fishing for any type of compliment because - trust me - I won't believe you anyhow.

My weight is back up there and I am unable to lose it the way I did before (good old fashioned walking my butt off) because of some pain issues. I have back problems that keep me from being on my feet for very long at one stretch. And now... today my weight is at its all time high and before you think it's probably not a big deal, it IS a big deal. My doctor is recommending me for gastric bypass surgery. Adam wants me to go for it because he wants me healthy. Not because he's a shallow man.

When the weight came back on, I was doing whatever I could to avoid any sexual contact with him because well... who wants the love of their life seeing them looking like Shamu? Not me, that's for sure. Okay so maybe that made Theresa spew her cola. Seriously, I didn't want him looking at me, touching me. NOTHING. I still don't but I also know that's not good for our marriage. Don't get me wrong... I wanted it. I wanted him. I just ... well... you know.

I have a friend who is even more overweight than I am but doesn't care. She doesn't care what others think or say but let me tell you something... a year ago I had to break up a rather loud argument between a young couple at school. When the boy called me a "fucking fat bitch." Yeah well I take that kind of stuff personally. If he'd called me a "fucking bitch" I would have been fine. The fat part? Well that was more than I could handle. The school nurse sent me home that day because I couldn't make the tears stop long enough to be in the classroom. And honest, I'm not a crier. I'm really not. And my friend? She had no compassion whatsoever as to why that bothered me so coming from a kid and all. It just did. That's all.

So what's the point of all this? Well the point is that when it comes to Adam I can't be what he needs at times. If you read yesterday's post then you saw that he needs me to go somewhere with him tomorrow night and I'd rather watch grass grow, stick hot needles in my eye... anything but that. The truth is that because of the position he's in, he at times needs a trophy wife. And the truth is that people watch him and ME expecting certain things.... things that I can't be... that I can't give.

And it's not fair to him. So the point is that I can't wear masks. I'm not the wife he needs me to be... but yet, I adore him. And he seems happy enough with me.

I don't know how to resolve this. I do my best to stay completely out of his career because I can't be a trophy on his arm. In all fairness to him, he doesn't expect that from me at all and doesn't pressure me much to do things I'm not comfortable with. But here's the real point, as I remove all concealing agents and the unattractive me comes through....... it's not him who thinks this or says this....

It's me who says "he deserves better."

And I can only wish that I could give him better.

But I can't.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beautiful mask found here

21 comments:

  1. Okay, no compliments. However I will remind you that I have see you, we do look alike and, while I agree no one is going to approach us for Playboy, we also don’t scare small children. Why is it when we have a new hair cut or a new outfit 20 people can tell us it’s great but we only really believe it if some tell us it’s funny looking? Human nature I guess.

    I know … sigh. But Adam and Nick sound so much alike. They are good looking, intelligent and mature enough to know what they want. They want us, go figure! They may be nuts but we love them for it!

    Hugs,
    your twin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sweetie!

    This makes me so sad. I know how you feel about compliments, I can't take compliments well. No, I can't take them at all.

    But our men love us. They love who we are and what we are. They have seen us at our worst and at our best, yet they are still here. Why? I don't know why.

    I'll tell you what I do know. I know I love Bossman. Warts and all. So why shouldn't he love me back? If I can love him, he can love me.

    Same is true for you and Adam. Adam doesn't need a trophy wife. Adam needs you. Bossman doesn't need a trophy wife, he needs me. That is what truly matters.

    It doesn't matter if you don't look like a model. Who does? What matters is how much you love your husband and how much he loves you. That will show through more than what your wearing, or what your hair looks like, or even how much you weigh.

    The love that shines through Adams eye when he looks at you will be enough to make any woman jealous.

    I'm positive of that!

    HUGS!
    grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, really gaet post and I have to agree, no one is perfect. We all have faults... and you kicked smoking!!! That is AMAZING! Good for you!

    Try to focus on the good and not the not so good; I know, easier said than done, but no one's perfect. If we were, wouldn't life be a little boring?

    xoxo,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grace said what I was thinking. Adam doesn't need a trophy wife to be successful. You said it yourself in a previous post. He does quite well for himself and enjoys his job. What he needs is you. It's your self esteem that makes you think other people are looking at you funny when you show up on his arm. He keeps asking you to go doesn't he? He wouldn't do that if he didn't think you were an asset to him. That he keeps asking should tell you everything you need to know. Go. Get dressed up (for your own ego), slather on your mask (a little make-up never hurt a soul) and smile cuz Adam loves you.

    Pooofette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok I used to not be able to take a compliment but now I can. Not sure why. I can lose 10 pounds and my self esteem soars. Why is that?

    Ahhh self esteem....that old issue. Hmmm I have tons in some areas and none in others.

    Anyway Adam loves you. I love you. PK, Grace, SuzQ, Paul, Tiggr, Cassie. I think CeeCi loves you best, because your new template is the best! There are others I am certain I have forgotten, and a host of lurkers love you. So there must be something pretty darn special about you!

    Anyway, I had the surgery 6 years ago. Email me if you want the skinny on the surgery!

    Luv you
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eva,

    OK, no compliments...

    Are we really so superficial as a society and as individuals that we are blinded to the real person, the person inside? I certainly hope not.

    I believe that real person is the one you show here. That's the person we love.

    Three words - Just be you!

    Hugs,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also have the same difficulty. I don't believe compliments at all. I cannot fathom why HonBun loves such a homely woman as I. He could find himself someone who enjoys spanking and is a gorgeous nympho. He won't. He wants only me. He loves me, completely.

    I have had to learn that I am who he wants and needs. Just as I am. With all my faults. This week Monday, I posted about a beautiful surprise HonBun gave me. A magnificent gold collar he had designed and hand made just for me. I feel so beautiful and loved in it.

    Adam loves and needs you. Not some fancy trophy goddess. I know when I gain weight that it's to hide what is really bothering me. I overeat to compensate. We talk and figure it out. Brian is most generous and compassionate. He tries to understand how being pudgy makes me feel. He helps me through it.

    I am sure Adam wouldn't hesitate. Reach out to him, ask for his help, support. Develope a plan together. He knows you and your limitations and weaknesses. He'll know how to help you.

    Don't hide yourself. Wear your love for Adam like a jeweled necklace, proudly. It will shine in your being. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. GET OFF THE DIET SODA-that stuff is poison...its making you fat.Search the words "aspartame poison" you wont believe what comes up.Its screws with chemicals in your brain that cause you to gain weight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eva, Adam wants you, not better.
    What are you talking about, who are people, if they can't see what you two mean to each other than they are not worth bothering about.
    I've been reading you since you started blogging here, I'm impressed by what I read, so you have a little make up on, so what. I've been looking at people for a long time, I hope that I'm a fair judge.
    You are a loving and decent and responsible woman, and that's the truth, if it's a compliment you'll just have to swallow it.
    The only judgement that should matter to you is Adam's then your family and then your friends and employers, if the rest have uncomplimentary thoughts, like that young couple, tell them to shove them where the Sun don't shine.
    I like you Eva and I HATE to see you hurting.
    Sending much love and big warm hugs,
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eva,

    I've read your post twice today. I wanted to comment immediately but thought I should come back to it.

    Ceeci has written the most wonderful words today. Go read them. So very timely.

    You know, I'm 50, I'm in that "peri-mentalpause' phase of life. Frankly, I wish the whole "mentalpause" of it all would just kick in! I keep wondering where the hell my waist went. Really, I do! But....I have come to the realization that I'm not going to be the thin drink of water I used to be. Part of its my own damn fault and the other part is the normal aging process.

    Our husbands/significant others love us. We wonder why, but thank heavens they do. Mine is a prize, a gift from the heavens. I'm so sure that Adam is as well.

    Eva, your friends have written some wonderful things. You're great from what I've read here. I, and I suspect the other women, have self doubts from time to time. My words can't make you feel better, only you can help that along. Just know that we care. You're special and I hope you can see that.

    You're in my thoughts.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eva,

    I still see myself just as you describe yourself... almost every minute of every day. But I'm very, very slowly learning to trust Dante and see myself as he does, through his eyes... it doesn't matter how anyone but you and Adam see you... you two know you the very best of all!

    And inside, you are beautiful, and provocative and evokative and intelligent and empathetic and wonderful! That's all I ever need to see... if I kept looking at the world from such a superficial, exterior kind of way, my world would become very dark and hopeless indeed.

    The beauty inside you has been leaking out all along, ergardless of whether you wish it or not... and we all KNOW exactly who you are and we think you are beautiful beyond words and timeless beyond eternity... and if you can't take the compliments, they are there for sometime when you can!

    I love you!
    Tiggs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eva? Has Adam read this post? I doubt that he would agree with your opinion. I think Adam wants you just the way you are. Ask him. I think you're putting too many expectations upon yourself. Go with him and be proud that you are his wife, and know how wonderful you are!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Elis~ What are you talking about? You telling me all those offers I get from playboy are bogus? Sheesh. There goes my early retirement.

    Katie~ So let's talk about the smoking issue. I saw you get your bottom warmed for it. Have you quit yet?

    Grace~ So you've quit wondering why Bossman loves you? GOOD!

    Pooofette~ Fortunately for me, it's a jeans event. I'm going. I'm going!! I just hope the evening goes quickly.

    Theresa~ Even before my doctor suggested it, I had done some research. Honestly I was afraid to ask her about it because I figued for some reason that she would be against the idea. I was pretty well shocked when she brought it up. I've reasearched it like crazy so I don't think there's much you can tell me I don't already know but I have one crucial question for you: Would you do it again?

    Bonnie~ Thank you. Actually I am probably more me HERE than in my "real" world because who I am on the inside.... who I am when I write... is not at all who I am on the outside... or at least who I view myself as.

    D~ Thank you. Everything you said is right on. It's just hard sometimes.

    Michellebelle~ Nice to meet you and as much as I know you are right, that would be extremely hard to do.

    Paul~ Thank you. The young man that said that was a student where I teach so it's kind of hard to do that. His girlfriend however finally dumped him and she has come back to visit me a couple times this year. Fortunately he wasn't one of my students... but she was. But thank you. Your words do mean a lot to me... whether I believe them or not.

    Debbie~ Thank you. I know that you're right. I thank God that Adam loves me anyhow. I'm so glad you haven't gone back to lurking mode. Please stay out here with us.

    Tiggr~ That's one thing I love about this community of bloggers - we get to know each other without the pre-judgement that comes from appearance. I always feel as though people judge me by my appearance without giving ME a chance. I love the acceptance that I feel here.

    Maggie~ Yes, Adam read it. My phone rang about 5 minutes before I got to work today. It was him. He had read this post. When I answered he said the sweetest thing.. he said "It's taken you 25 years to finally realize that you like falling asleep with your bare ass against me. Is it going to take another 25 years to realize that I love you?" He then went on to say something about being in a wheel chair by then but really... we won't be that old. I do love him and really I know he loves me. I just don't know why.

    Hugs to you all~
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  14. Shit... where to start from? So many things to say.

    First, I dunno exactly how old you are, but you don't sound old, so I'll place you anywhere around my age. hehe

    Getting rid of kilos is a permanent battle for me.

    Well, if you saw my pics for HNT, according to some people I am not fat, and people who are fatter than me call me crazy, and maybe I am, but I am obsessed with losing weight. This last year I put on 7 or 8 pounds, I am desperately trying to get rid of them, and I can't. Not right now. :( That does make me push Jack away at times, sexually speaking. I don't feel attractive anymore, I don't feel the need to look very sexy on the street anymore... I sometimes even feel I don't deserve to be loved for it. Interesting, eh? Wait, it gets even better!

    Maybe, like I said, you are gonna call me crazy, but all I am saying is that many of us have a weight issue, and no matter how fat or skinny we are, most of us react in the same way. So stop worrying, and start doing something about your weight. That's my approach. I am quite rude when it comes to this, unfortunately... If I see you after ten months, and you put on weight, I will tell you that, cuz we are friends, and you already know the way you look, so what I say shouldn't bother you... I am just being honest. And I'll give you thousands of tips on losing weight too, given that I have read tons of books on healthy diets and vitamins and what not! That's how things get done around here.

    Smoking? I do throw tantrums if I don't have a ciggie. Go and read back one of my posts on my blog, when I tried to quit. It took the collective effort of many bloggers and lots of crying to resist for a week. I went mad! ;)

    So... relax and be happy, Eva! You are a woman and you are as crazy or as normal as we all are! hehe ;) And if you feel crazier than others, just think of yourself as special. ;)

    Now you got me obsessed with my own weight again! Thanks! I needed that! It helps! :)

    Hugz,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kay~ I know the ins and outs of weight loss. That's where my frustration comes from at the moment. My doctor says that the pain will never be completely gone but will diminish if I lose weight. Problem is that I can't get out there and lose the weight because of the pain. It's a catch 22 that I've been in for about 2 years now. Also, I have other issues that relate to weight gain. We've been tying to regulate my thyroid for 3 years now. This is not just a matter of "get off your lazy ass and do something." It's medical. It's things I CAN'T do anything about. Believe me, if I was able to do something about it, I would have a long time ago and would have no need to have written this post. I wish, oh how I wish that was the case.

    Hugs~
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  16. "I do love him and really I know he loves me. I just don't know why."

    BECAUSE YOU ARE YOU! PERIOD!

    He loves YOU! You are giving him the best years of your lives .. you've said it yourself. *g*

    -Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. YES! Even though I had it the old fashioned way...they gutted me like a fish! These days, they can do it through about 3 or four little tiny holes. A lot less post op pain!

    Hugs
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  18. Heya girl! Sorry... I didn't mean to sound harsh in my post - that's just me...

    I think it would be too boring for the readers to read what I have to say, so maybe I should just email you instead. :)

    Hugz,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Eva,

    First time reading your blog (found you through Tiggs and that INCREDIBLE story you wrote, which I hope to God is real because it was just wonderful............

    From what I can tell, Adam really loves you, and from what I've read, "you" are pretty incredible.

    Big hug,
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just catching up our reading. Can relate to the insult thing. There is no way to soften that blow. Obviously some people have thick skin, but you have to think it really bothers them. They're just better at hiding it.

    It is awesome you quit smoking! Suzy did the same on 1/1/2000, and hasn't had one since. She, too, gained weight. And, it is a struggle to take it off. It's just not like when we were kids, and a few weeks of dieting was all it took. Sigh... but, if you have the will power to quit cigarettes, you know you have the ability to lose the weight too. It's just a grind, with ups and downs.

    Your point about honesty was interesting. While we would never lie... we also try to keep our problems off the blog, too. A big reason probably is, we blog together as a couple. When one of us is a little down... the other posts.

    The trophy wife line... reminds us of a joke on 'Everybody Loves Raymond.' Marie (the grandmother) says she's just a trophy wife. Her husband Frank looks at her, and says, "What contest in hell did I win?"

    lol, zip... ZERO... to do with you. But, it was a funny little joke.

    Pity Parties are okay. Like you said, we all have them.

    :)
    ~Todd & Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Maggie~ You're right. Thanks for the reminder!

    Theresa~ I think I might have a few questions for you if I get time to think about it some more. I'll email them to you.

    Kayley~ You weren't too harsh at all sweetie. I haven't had time to read your email yet as of Sat. morning but I will soon. I promise.

    Spice~ Thanks.

    Todd & Suzy~ I love Raymond but missed that one. Frank has the best one liner's of anyone in show business!!

    ReplyDelete