
Bonnie presented us with the question of whether spanking is more a need or a want. My first response was "BOTH." She, however didn't offer that as a choice so I had to decide. Funny but it seems like others are saying what I felt at the time. It started out as a want but is now a need.
Hmmmm......
I think I was a bit quick in voting for it as a need.
I mean ... air... that's a need. Food? Wouldn't guess it by looking at me but that's another need. Without these essentials we would die for sure. Therefore they are needs.
As I drove to work - and it's a long drive - I couldn't get this out of my mind. I was thinking that we .... not one of us can claim spanking to be a need because we survived before and we could survive without it. We just don't WANT to have to survive without it, yes?
So it's a want.
Not a need.
But wait......
Where in the world did I ever get this idea that if it's not a matter of life or death then it's a want... and wanting is selfish.
I need food but is wanting steak over hamburger selfishness?
Where am I going?
Well let's see, I'm wondering, could it be that it doesn't have to be life and death to be a need? I need a light on in a dark room so that I can read. Will I die without it? Nope. I won't. But it's a need at the moment.
I need my computer to communicate with all of you but would I die without it? Nope.
So these spankings that I could only want and wish for all these years... were they a need? Not in the sense of life or death. No. They were merely a want.
So then why do I feel like they are a need?
Because......
I feel submissive because of them....
Sex is better because of them....
My broken marriage was healed because of them....
I've learned to respect my husband because of them....
He's learned to love me in the way I need to be loved because of them...
We are happier because of them.....
They may not be the air we breathe in our marriage but they are most certainly a form of nourishment for what we share. We've grown and thrived over the past five years since we started TTWD.
If saying I want this is selfish, then I'm selfish. But I'm right back to my original answer on Bonnie's poll. It's a need. Without it, my marriage was dying. With it, my marriage is thriving. I don't particularly care to return to that dying state. I don't want to go back... only forward. Maybe it is a matter of life and death after all.
Gosh, I hope Adam feels the same way.
Very good points indeedy! And I would die without my computer, same as I was dying before spankings. At least we weren't thriving before.
ReplyDeleteI found out Tiggr's been taking people's spankings, check with her she may have some of yours! I checked she didn't have any of mine, but Elis seems to be missing some.
I did NOT take any of PK's spankings... are you kidding me? She is mad enough at me already!!
ReplyDeleteBut Eva, yes, I absolutely agree with every single thing you've said here... Thank you for reminding me cause the weird way my brain works, I often find this question running through my mind... and now I find myself wondering the same thing you are... does Dante feel the same way?
Hmmm, should I go ask him? Nah, I'll send him here instead... much more fun that way!
Big hugs and love,
Tiggs
Eva, I found out early in our marriage, for Mel it was definitely a need.
ReplyDeleteI don't know if you ever smoked or were close to a smoker, remember how horrible it was when you or they were trying to break the habit, well that's exactly how Mel was after a week without spanking, needy, grumpy, bratty and very hard to live with. Only for the fact that it would have been harder on me, no spanking would have been a severe punishment for Mel. Fortunately the cure was ten minutes OTK and my beloved brat was her usual sunny self.
And for me, what followed most spankings was addictive in the best possible way.
Warm hugs Eva,
Paul.
You got the idea from 'needs' and 'wants' from stupid Economics. It's the way Marketing and some other subjects define needs and wants. But I voted for 'need' too, because I agree with your list!
ReplyDeleteI don't know if my marriage would be dying or not without it, but I sure know that I'd be going crazy and I'd be unsatisfied. So it is a need for my marriage, if for not something else... The my marriage is a need for my happyness.
Very interesting post, Eva!Thanks!
Hugz
Kay
What the heck is wrong with me??? I got Tigger's spelling and typo virus! If I get my hands on you girl...!! ;)
ReplyDeleteI responded to Bonnie before coming over here and reading this. Thank goodness I decided to read this before blogging something of my own. I was just thinking how this would make a post. (great minds think alike, right?)
ReplyDeleteSo, you are right. I don't need a spanking to live. But I need spankings to be happy and to have a happy marriage. I feel we should all need to be happy. For if we were never happy, I don't think we could live. Therefore I need spankings to be happy, and I need to be happy to live.
That's not to say I am happy everyday. But if we didn't have even a glimmer of happiness, where would we be?
Now, I'm just rambling...sheez.
How about this...I NEED to WANT a spanking. Or, I WANT to NEED a spanking?
I dunno.
Hugs!
grace
I've been thinking about the want vs need thing too. I obviously had to vote want on her poll. But I can see where it would be a need. An emotional and mental need. You "need" for him to invest his time in you, in this way, so that you know you matter to him. Since I have zero experience here, that's just my view from the outside looking in. I could be waaayy off base. lol
ReplyDeleteBut the part where you and tiggr question your man's take on this, makes me nervous just that much more.
I'm learning a lot from y'all. Thanks!
Oh, and I could relate Paul, to Mel's "needy, grumpy, bratty and very hard to live with" attitude after 1 week without. I get that way with sex too! LOL
Really great post! Homerun, and a slap on your ass as you cross homeplate!! It's not a survival "need," but like you say, what really is? A very-very small handful of things. It is, however a happiness "need" for you and many of us spankos. And really, without happiness... what's the point of it all? To eat, sleep and suck in air?
ReplyDeleteNah, humans have a huge need for happiness... and it has driven our species from out of the trees eating bananas, to here in front of our computers.
And speaking of computers, you did make one small error... they ARE a *basic* survival need!
;)
~Todd & Suzy
Oh I forgot to tell you...steak is a basic need. Three weeks of Hamburger Helper and me and Michael are beginning to show
ReplyDeletedefinite signs of malnutrition!
Don't know if you ever heard of Maslow's hierarchy of needs. It starts with oxygen, goes to food water and shelter....but further down on the list is love.
I didn't mention it this morning because I had a blog hangover.
Hugs
Theresa
Hi Everyone... I would love to respond to you all individually but I had to work till 8:30 tonight and didn't get home till amlmost 9:30 and tomorrow we're leaving for a quick trip to watch our daughter in a sporting event. Looking forward to the short 5 hour road trip AND a 3 day weekend. We'll only be gone one night though.
ReplyDeleteI loved all your comments... and Paul, I am an ex smoker.... 2 pks on a work day... 3 on non work days for over 30 years. Been smober about 18 months now. Hardest thing I ever did so I can relate quite nicely to what you said.
You all have a great weekend. I'm tired. I hate those 14 hour days. I'm so glad we're off tomorrow so I can sleep in some.
Eva
You made some good points in your blog post. :)
ReplyDeleteHope you have a good weekend, Eva..
BIG HUGS
padme
Loved this post, Eva. :) Have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteHugs
Sky
Eva,
ReplyDeleteI liked the way you said it.....
Have a great weekend !
Sincerely,
Anne Elizabeth
Eva,
ReplyDeleteWow, great post indeed! I thought it was a fairly straight forward question. Obviously, I underestimated everyone's analytical inclinations.
For me, it's a need. But then, I need to go to the hair stylist too. Seriously, my life wouldn't be nearly as rich or as fun without our occasional romps.
Hugs,
Bonnie