I swear. It all started off innocently enough.In just one week the nest will not be empty. Our youngest is coming home for the summer instead of working the job she has the past two years 3 hours from home. I don't mind but it will be an adjustment. Adam and I have gotten used to being on our own.
I recently said to my child "If I install a wireless router will you stay off MY computer and just use your own?"
It's not that I'm selfish.
Well, okay. It is that I'm selfish. In the summer I like to check my mail. Clean the kitchen. Read some blogs. Clean the bathroom. Check my mail again. Throw a load of wash in. Play a game of cards online, etc.
In other words, when I want my computer, I want my computer. And that's that.
But when there are kids living here you can imagine how it goes. The minute I get up to clean the kitchen my computer gets hijacked by someone under 30 and it drives me nuts.
Wireless internet, the solution of all solutions, yes?
Suffice it to say that the youngest is THRILLED to oblige.
But now here's another issue.
Remember the road trip? We had a blast last year BUT ... it's not a big deal but I am an early riser. Adam likes to sleep later than me. I like letting him sleep however I am very bored waiting in a hotel room for him to wake up.
Boy a laptop of my own would sure be nice. I love my desktop computer. It's fast but not at all portable.
I thought maybe I'd convince the child to swap me machines for the 2 weeks we're gone but then I got to thinking.....
And thinking...
Visions of sitting out on the deck with my morning coffee and laptop were becoming quite desirable. And this from me, someone who swore she'd never ever buy a laptop. I don't like typing on them. I hate those .... what do you call them.... thinkpads? You know. The mouse.So anyhow, I emailed PK this morning. I told her "I think I want a laptop. I just have to convince Adam that he wants one, too."
I fixed him an awesome breakfast of a fresh asparagus/fresh basil/swiss cheese omelet, hash browns, and fresh fruit this morning. Over breakfast I said "honey, I think you need a laptop."
"Me? I think YOU want a laptop."
"I can't deny it. It would be great for the trip and then when we get back it would be all yours for work."
"The trip? You are NOT spending the whole trip on a computer. The computer is what we go to get away from."
"I know that silly. I would just check mail in the morning and at night and maybe read blogs while you sleep in."
He then decided he was going to take the pup out. I went back and emailed PK again. This time I told her "He's wearing down. I'll have my laptop by the end of the day."
He came back in and said I needed spanked. "For what?"
"That whole laptop thing. It's not for me. It's you who wants one."
"Okay fine. You get a laptop and I get spanked. Deal."
"No deal. I'm going to get a shower."
Hmmmmmmm........ I did the only thing I could at that point. I stripped down and climbed in the shower with him.
There was actually more to the conversation. He was considering the fact that it would be a tax deduction. We joked about who it would belong to and of course agreed that it would be both of ours.
As I climbed in the shower, he laughed. He knew EXACTLY why I was there.
I ran my finger around on his chest a couple times and then looked at him, trying to make my eyes as big and as pleading as possible.
"Don't you look at me like that."
"Why not?"
"Because the last time you looked at me like that we ended up with children."
Man. He doesn't forget a thing.
Then he said to me, "I'm not saying I want a laptop but if we were to get one and take it on the road trip we could upload pictures to it as we go huh? We could take a lot more pictures."
Far be it from me to tell him it would be cheaper to just buy an extra card for the camera. They are small and could be lost easily. You know?
Yup. We got the laptop. I bought a cheap mouse to go with it so I don't have to use that thinkpad thingie.
And honestly if Adam was that against it he would have said so.
Honest.
Now about that spanking...............
ROFLMAO! Girl you are good! I am so impressed! But get rid of the mouse and give the finger pad a try. You will be use to it in a day or two - don't be a baby! And remember the mouse might attract snakes (I showed you that picture).
ReplyDeletePoor Adam, he never had a chance once you got in the shower! Now about that spanking... well??
You are a little stinker!
ReplyDeleteI am DARN proud of you!
Congrats on the new computer!
Now, when is that trip again??? (Not that I'm planning anything, but I would like to know!)
HUGS!
grace
Hurrah, a new computer! I love having a lap top when we travel, and it has been fun at home too.
ReplyDeleteBest wishes!
Hugs,
Kallisto
Heh! Quite sneaky! lol
ReplyDeleteAnd successful. *g*
~Hugs and congrats!
Wonder if that would work on CM? Anyway great news that you're getting a new computer, lap tops are great and you can sit just about anywhere with them!
ReplyDeleteHugs
Em x
Very cute story - thanks for sharing it~!
ReplyDeleteI've used my laptop on road trips for years. I got used to the fingerpad but I still hated it and I also plug in a mouse. I also use my laptop in bed on days when my back is really bad.
Now - D's computer broke down three weeks ago. So he took over my laptop and is using it 24/7 in front of the 57" TV that I got him to keep him away from computer games, which used to take up his entire life. Now, he is risking my only backup to my PC for business, as well as he's back to computer games! Grrrr... he already changed my browser links and downloaded some junk on there! I expect it to crash any day now, just like his desktop did.
Huggs,
Reesa
You are good. Congrats on the new laptop and the spanking. I love mine. Now I can sit on my bed, and have the food network, and blog all at once. Mine is a wide screen so the keyboard is not so bad. I use to hook a mouse up to my work laptop, but now I am use to the thinkpad!
ReplyDeleteI am going to remember this trick of yours the next time I want something. Yikes hope I don't end up with more children!
Huggs
Theresa
Twin~ I'm skeered of the finger thingie. And I'm not a baby. I'm not I'm not I'm not.
ReplyDeleteGrace~ Oh no you don't. There will be no party here!!!! Now that I have the laptop you won't even know when we're gone. hehehe
Kallisto~ Thanks. I'm liking this new found ability to multi-task. Now I can blog and watch TV at the same time!!
Maggie~ Thanks!! It worked really well. Now maybe I can get him to see how much we need a hummer. Ya think? LOL
Em~ I can't speak for all men but seems to me that we should all know the best way to get what we want, yes?
Reesa~ That ain't good girlfriend!!! Reclaim it!!
Theresa~ Honestly, the food network is the best station out there!!! I love Paula, Rachael and Giada. This is so new....being able to be on here and watch TV at the same time. Love it!!!
Hugs~
Eva
Laptops are great! You'll thoroughly enjoy the freedom it brings.
ReplyDeleteI actually bought a wireless mouse for my laptop. I used the touchpad for the first few months, but found I navigated better with the mouse.
You're one clever woman.
Too funny!!! I love it! What a way to convince him!!! I loved Adams response of last time you looked at me like that we ended up with children!!! I LOVE IT!!!!! heehe.... Sounds like Papa Shrek!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the new computer! What about this spanking????
Carye
You sly girl you! Getting in the shower with him is hitting below the belt, literally.
ReplyDeleteThe "Thinkpad" (which I'm pretty sure is an IBM trademark for their brand of laptop) is really called a touchpad. The biggest problem with ALL laptop computers is that from the factory the speed is set way way way too slow.
As such, you have to drag your finger across the pad, pick it up, move back, do it again, and again, and again, and again ....
It usually takes four or five cycles to get the damned cursor across the screen ONCE!
The FIRST thing to do with any laptop is go into the touchpad configuration and adjust the speed up to around 80% from 50%. At least 80%. You'll find you like the touchpad a whole lot better when it moves the cursor as fast as the external mouse. If you need any more help, just let me know.
Did I read something about a spanking??????
Hugs,
Dave
I have to say, this one cracked me up! Good going! I wonder how come big innocent eyes never work on Dave?????
ReplyDeleteHugs!
Cindy