If you're not up to hearing a rant, I understand if you move along to PK's or somewhere that doesn't have any griping going on. I know how it is. Sometimes we just can't handle hearing one more complaint. Something's bugging me. Bugging? Actually it's annoying the heck right out of me.
It got back to me through the grapevine that Adam's sister said that I am "taking the easy way out" when it comes to losing weight.
Easy? Has the back pain I've been in for 3 years been easy?
Will surgery be easy? Will it be easy to never again in my life eat an entire meal?
Will it be easy to order a dinner in a restaurant knowing I can only take a few bites?
Will it be easy to skip the mashed potatoes and go for the meat because protein has to come first?
Will it be easy to drink protein drinks that taste like a barn floor?
There is NO easy way out when it comes to weight loss. My doctor has recommended this because everything else has failed. Oh, sure, there have been a few times where I've busted my ass to get my weight down to a mere 40 pounds over weight.
That's right people!! 40 pounds OVERweight has been the best I've ever been since I hit puberty. Does it matter that my grandmother was overweight? And my father? And all but one of his siblings? Does it matter that it's genetic? Does it matter that I'm on a fairly high dosage of thyroid medication? Easy way out?
What's easy about it?
I still have to exercise and diet. This forces me to do that. Does that make it easy? I do wish that ignorant people would realize they are ignorant and just shut their mouths.
And you know what's funny? Adam's sister too is overweight. She has recently been diagnosed with some of the things I've been fighting for years. My guess is that within the next five years she will be having to do the same thing.
Easy way out?
I hope she doesn't call me if she ever decides to take the "easy way out."
None of this has been easy. It's not a quick fix. It's taken me a year to get to this point. It will take another year to get the weight off. And what's so easy about strained cream of chicken soup? Yogurt? Mashed up cottage cheese? Beef broth? Sugarless EVERYTHING?
No more pasta. No more sugar. No more pop. No more alcohol. No wait. I don't drink. Scratch that. Oh, and I get to do TWO enemas before surgery. Easy? That's easy? And I get to drink that nasty lemony flavored carbonated crap.... and pills.. I get to take some pills... all designed to "clean me out."
Oh, but it will be easy.
Does anyone here see that what Adam's sister thinks I should do it follow a diet and exercising? I will be doing exactly that with a million dr. appointments piled on. Tests. Surgery. Enemas. Hospital stay. Protein drinks. Have I mentioned they all taste like a barn floor?
So now I get it... the "hard way out" (the "right" way) would be diet and exercise. The "easy way out" - the way that I'm taking - is diet, exercise and all this stuff I've mentioned. And really I haven't given you all the details of what I've been through to get here.
Now the "easy" part begins. Surgery. Recovery. And a whole new way of living. It will be soooo easy, right? If this is the easy way out, then so be it. I make no apologies for doing something the "easy way." And the easy way out means that if I cheat on the diet I risk throwing up or - worse - dumping. If you don't know what that is, read up on it. It might not be what you think. It's where you get the shakes, nauseous, chills, sweats, tightening in the chest... all kinds of fun things. And what will happen to Adam's sister should she cheat? NOTHING.
But my way's the easy way. She should try it. I mean, after all, if it's easy then why wouldn't she want to try it? It's easier to drive to the grocery store than it is to walk but maybe I should walk so people don't think I'm taking the easy way out.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
I'm done.
No I'm not.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Okay, now I'm done.
Adam's sister is living in delusion... we all know how hard this is, that there is absolutely nothing easy about it... and we are all with you 100%.
ReplyDeleteTry hard to stick extra close to those who support you and this decision and see it as a positive step in your life... you need lots and lots of love and hugs and happy thoughts right now, not tons of negativity from someone who is just too darned scared to take a good hard look at herself before opening her mouth.
Love you!
Tiggs
That comment came out of ignorance and her own pain; push it away and concentrate on your own recovery. It won't be easy, and you'll need all your strength - don't waste any on other people's weaknesses.
ReplyDeleteWow. Now that is an impressive rant. I, too, have recent experience with people living in delusion saying mean nasty things. It sucks. It sucks big time. But, I'm gonna make the assumption that you can take care of yourself and not worry about her...especially with people like Tiggr backing you up...and especially if you can vent like that! :p
ReplyDelete(Hugs and Hi. :) )
Oh Eva!
ReplyDeleteThis is absolutely horrible!
I'm really sorry you have to deal with such ignorant people. It makes it even harder when it's family.
You are taking the hardest and bravest way out. Don't think of it any other way.
I love you!
grace
Hi, I just wanted you to know that you are not taking the easy way out, I had the same surgery almost 5 years ago and there was nothing easy about it. I applaud you for doing this! Don`t let other people put you down for putting your health first. For me it was the best thing I ever did, I would do it again in a heartbeat!! I wish you all the best, I know you will do great. If you have any questions, I would love to answer them, just post a reply here so I can see it and I will give you my email address. Take care, Linda
ReplyDeletep.s. I have been reading your blog almost since you started.
Adam best have a long talk with his sister.
ReplyDeleteIn 1993 I was 365 lbs two years ago 250 lbs last friday at the Dr's office 197. I still want to get to 175.
Was it easy NO WAY!!! I know what your going thru rant all you want.
Remember this... Your to sweet a person to have to take such crap.
This friend out here in cyber land will be with you all the way. I know Mthc will feel the same way.
*hugs and grins*
Wow Eva!!
ReplyDeletePay no attention to people who don't kmow what they are talking about.
You have Adam and PK and your friends in blogland for support.We're behind you 100 per cent
You knew it was coming. You knew someone was going to say this eventually. Thank heavens you decided to rant here instead of the more satisifying solution of murder. I think you comments here have covered it so I will just add one more thing, give Adam an extra hug. Not only does he probably wnat to strangle his sister he has to go on loving her too. What a pain!!
ReplyDeleteHugs twin!
Tiggr~ I know you're right. At first hearing that really hurt but then I realized it was just ignorance talking. I've thought about talking to her about it but I'd rather not. Some people don't get it and I'm not sure she would get it.... at least not until she decides to do the same herself.
ReplyDeleteAnon~ Well said!! And so true. After thinking through her comment and realizing how positively wrong that is I'm fine about it. And I know a lot of people think the same way. They just don't know.
Ofia~ Thanks!! Yup, with friends like Tiggr and everyone else backing me, I know this is going to be a positive experience.... even if it's not easy!!
Grace~ I rest my case. I've got such good friends pulling for me out here. You're at the top of the list!!!
Linda~ Thank you so much for speaking up!!! I appreciate what you said more than you can know!! And yes, I'd love to talk to you via email. My address is evadry3@yahoo.com. Please drop me a line and I'll write back!!
David and mthc~ Thank you both!! You two are good friends!! I've got 99% support in my life about this... both in blogland and in my real world. I don't have much energy for the other 1%. It's all going to be fine!!!! I think. I hope......
hugs~
Eva
Twin~ Fortunately we're not all that close to this particular sister. I doubt you'll meet her when you're here so he only has to love her from a distance... for the most part anyhow!!!
ReplyDeleteHugs~
Twin
Eva, wow one of your best rants yet, I'm proud of you.
ReplyDeleteI don't wish to be rude about Adams sister, I'll just say, people who don't know what they are talking about, shouldn't.
You are going to do so well, we are all behind you and are supporting you.
You will be fine, we love you.
Warm supportive hugs,
Paul.
Eva - I'm just back from vacation, trying to catch up on everyone.
ReplyDeleteI've had many friends who have had this surgery and I know how difficult it has been. The easy way? Not hardly! Your sister-in-law may just be envious that you have the courage to make this step. And a year from now, when you are at or very near your goal weight and she is (likely) not, she'll be able to blame the difference on the fact that you "cheated" in getting to the finish line first. I bet you'll continue to hear more of this from her, but take it for what it is... envy. Don't let it bring you down. Your friends all applaud you and wish you well.
Besides, if the surgery isn't tough enough, Nurse Ratchet... um... I mean Nurse PK is coming and there won't be anything easy about THAT!
*hugs* Suzy
wow. unbelievable. I don't think I could do what you are doing. Easy? Not hardly. How about couragous? Terrifying? um etc... the thought of having to change your way of eating for your entire life forward, I don't know that I could do it. and to have things like you describe happen when you don't... I just don't think I would have the strength or willpower to make it work forever. You are truely an amazing person..
ReplyDeleteCarye
Great rant! I am with you 100%. I have found it ironic that TLC has two "obesity" shows on Monday night, back to back, with totally different view points. The first show is about two doctors who do this surgery. The second show does consider the surgery to be the "easy way out", which I totally don't get. Go figure.
ReplyDeleteTake care and think happy thoughts!!!!!
Hugs,
Kallisto
Talk to mija. A fellow spank who has been through this. Good luck!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.asmallertarget.net/
http://www.punishmentbook.org/
http://northgare.blogs.com/annie/
http://www.thetreehouse.net/pablo-stories.html
your lurker,
Eile
I just got home. I put sugar in her gas tank! Ha now her car will gain wieght and have to take "the easy way out"! Don't tell Adam!
ReplyDeleteYou are right it aint easy, but sometimes we have to make hard decisions! Rant away, any ole time!
Huggs
Theresa
Eva, you are so brave for going through with this! My support is with you 100%!
ReplyDeleteAs for Adam's sister, when and if she ever goes through the same thing, toss that 'easy' button right at her! And of course - smile!
~Many hugs to ya girl!
Sorry I'm late to this post, Eva, but bravo to you! As I said before, surgery's a hard decision and is NEVER an easy option. I've avoided it for 3 years now and hopefully will for a few more years...
ReplyDeleteHuggs,
Reesa