Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Ramblings


We had an ice storm yesterday.




Pretty, huh? It didn't bother me much since the roads were fine. I did however get another snow day today. We've had more than we're allowed this year so this one today will have to be made up. I don't care. I'd rather go one more day in warm weather than go out there today in the snow and blowing freezing cold.

This is March, yes? Spring is close by, I hope.

I'm cleaning and doing laundry today. This way Saturday will be a play day all day long.

Here's a secret... shhhhhhhhh...... Adam has a birthday next Thursday. He's going to be... well... forty something. We're not doing much special for it because we're saving our pennies for a road trip over my spring break. I can't wait!! It's always nice to get out on the open road with Adam. We seem to be at our best then.

This weight thing is frustrating me!!! I have gained a couple pounds. Never fear though... I'm all over it like - as my twin would say - a duck on a June bug. Or is that a June bug on a duck? No matter. The point is, I'm on it. I'm pretty sure that eating sugar free chocolate is my cause. PMS is a horrible thing without chocolate but I will not not not purchase anymore. I've also kicked up the exercise a bit. This morning I was back down a pound. See, I am eating more normal like now and have to really watch. I had gotten used to the first six months of not having to be all that careful. I knew it wouldn't last forever and I'm ready to meet the challenge and get those couple of pounds back off. Not only that, I still have my goal of 157 to get to. I am pretty sure I will and that this is a very temporary set back.

The pup is laying by my side. He's so sweet. We just love him to death however ... there is one little problem. He turns into Kujo over stupid stuff like Popsicle sticks and Kleenex. Now, don't tell me to watch the Dog Whisperer guy. We've done that. He will bite your arm off for a Kleenex. If it's a toy or something he's allowed to have he will let you take it from him. We've been handling it by double teaming him. One of us will distract him by getting him to come out of hiding to play while the other goes to the hiding spot and takes the goods and throws whatever it is at the moment in the trash. Other than that, any suggestions?

Gosh I hate winter but I sure do love snow days.

I recently sent a bunch of recipes to Terpsichore. She's decided that she can cook after all. Once she saw that her family didn't need medical attention and that the food actually tasted good she has decided that cooking's not so bad after all. I'm going to post one of the recipes here. This is my newest favorite dish. I've always loved chicken and dumplings but I swear to you, this is the best I've ever eaten. I actually started with a recipe and tweaked it by adding ideas of my own. After making it three times I don't think I can make it any better than this. If you try it and find a way to improve it, by all means tell me!!!

Chicken and Dumplings
 

INGREDIENTS

  • 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 6 cups college inn chicken broth
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 cup sliced celery
  • 1 small bag baby carrots
  • 2 chopped onions
  • 2 tablespoon butter
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2-3 Tbs. Chicken bullion granules
  • 2 cups all-purpose baking mix
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup cold water

DIRECTIONS

  1. In a large pot over medium heat, simmer chicken in 6 cups broth until no longer pink. Remove chicken, cool and shred. Keep the broth!!!!!
  2. Return shredded chicken to pot and stir in butter, salt and pepper. Cook until chicken reaches desired tenderness, 15 to 60 minutes.
  3. Add soups, vegetables, butter, salt, pepper and bullion.
  4. In a bowl, stir together baking mix and milk until smooth. In a separate bowl, stir together flour and 1/2 cup cold water until smooth. Stir flour mixture into soup; bring soup to a rolling boil.
  5. Drop baking mix mixture by tablespoonfuls into the boiling water, neatly around the chicken. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, 10 minutes. Then cover and cook 10 minutes more. (Sneak a spatula under the dumplings to prevent chicken from sticking to the bottom of the pot.) Serve hot.


I cook the chicken on the stove in the morning, transfer the broth to a large crockpot and then mix everything in letting it slow cook all day adding the dumplings a few hours before surving. The longer the dumplings are in there, the better they are.



Laundry is calling my name and I have to tend to it before the pup runs off with a dirty sock or underwear or something. Yes, he steals those things too and will bite you for them. Grrrr.... how can he be so very sweet but turn so mean over something so stupid? We just don't battle him. We have a system but sometimes I get ticked and grab for what he's taken. He's only broken my skin once with his teeth. It's okay. He has all his shots. And don't tell me "I'd shoot that dog" or something else. We love him. That's NOT an option. I mean seriously. Look at this face. What's NOT to love??


14 comments:

  1. He is a very cute puppy! Last time I had a puppy was when I was five years old so no advice for you I am afraid...and thanks for the recipe...I can't wait to try it...trying to lose weight isn't so bad when you are eating yummy things...and for the record I COULD cook before just never seemed to find the time LOL :-) though I know those were my words - :-) but now that I am making the time it feels great and am glad to be trying new things instead of making the same old things over and over...so chicken and dumplings here we go... :-) I hope you get everything done so you can have a fabulous Saturday (and then you can share with all of us so I can live vicariously through you)...Oh my goodness do I babble alot...sorry for the long comment... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brrrrrrr! I'm glad you're staying indoors, getting the Saturday chores out of the way so you can have a relaxing weekend.

    The recipe looks scrumptious, I'll have to print it out and give it a try.

    I have no advice about the puppy problem, I'm a cat person. You're right, he is awfully cute. Is that one of his prizes behind his left ear?

    *hugs*
    C.C

    enjoy your snow day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your recipe sounds good. Love the doggie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had some rain. No snow this time and fortunately, for me, no ice. It has been icy in areas and schools were closed or delayed. We've had a lot of roof collapses this winter and they are worried this rain will make it worse. Is it spring yet? :)

    Guess what? My guy's b-day is next Thursday also. Did you know, that it is also Donald Duck's birthday?

    The pup is adorable. Shitzu?
    I miss having pets. :(

    Love the recipe. Sounds simple enough. I am still smacking my lips over the leftover turkey recipe. Yummy!!

    Oh well - off I go.

    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is nice to have a day off, isn't it? I just had to email PK and let her know that you and I have the day off. hehe

    About the dog..I will email you a suggestion because it is kind of long. My sis and BIL had a dog that would turn to Kujo quickly and without warning. I will tell you how they handled it and the dog is VERY well behaved now.
    Hugs,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pup is really cute, but I see that little Cujo glimmer in his eyes!

    Thanks for the recipe, I have been wondering what to cook this weekend!

    Huggs
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm, can't relate to the ice...see my post..but I can relate to laundry and YUCK!

    But it is nice to just say home and take care of stuff.

    ~sigh~ I guess I'll go do some laundry!

    HUGS!
    grace

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do have a cute dog. I may try to make your dish this weekend.

    *hugs and grins*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eva, we rarely have ice and snow I'm pleased to say.
    Good to have a day off, they regulate the number of snow days, have they learned how to regulate the weather. chuckle.
    If you know what caused the increase you can deal with it.
    Is your pup a Shihtzu or Lhasa, mine has the same thing with tissues, can be a problem.
    Please give my good wishes to Adam.
    Love and warm hugs,
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Terpsichore~ You're right!! Those were your words!! LOL I know you can cook!! I mean you are not the kind of mom to let her kids go hungry ever!!

    C.C~ That is the BEST chicken and dumplings I've ever made or had. I hope if you make it that it comes out good!! And no, that's a chewy rawhide thing back there behind the pup's head.

    mthc~ We love him too. He's such a sweet little dog... most of the time.

    Debbie~ Well then the 4 of us should go out to dinner and celebrate!!! Yup, he's a shitzu/poodle mix. The poodle in him is sweet as heck.. it's the shitzu part that goes Kujo on us!!

    Lori~ Got the email and thanks!! One thing about emailing with PK is that it's hard to tell if we're off work or not cuz the conversation never stops. Did you know that she and I started a conversation the day we met and it hasn't stopped yet? Seriously... the SAME conversation is still going!! LOL

    Theresa~ Yup, he's a cutie!! Let me know how the recipe works for you.

    Grace~ I'm happy for you that you can't relate to the ice. Really. Happy. Yup. Me. Happy. For you. So how about I come visit you and bring some ice to put down your shirt?? Hmmm? Do you think that might help you relate a bit?? ROFLMAO

    David~ Thanks! And good luck with that. It's soooooo good so save me some!!

    Paul~ Finally!! Someone who understands the whole tissue thing!!! And yes, it sure can be a problem!!! And gosh, I wish they COULD regulate the weather!! I would take it sunny, breezy and 80 degrees!!

    Hugs to all~
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are right about that twin. In the past 20 months the longest we have gone with out contact was 2 days went you went on vacation the month after we met. I hope we never have to go that long again!!!

    love you twin

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoo hoo! I'll take ice from YOU any day!!!!! Come on over, the weather is FINE!!! I've got the welcome mat all ready.

    PK, I KNEW that when I read Lori's comment that she needn't have bothered. I'm pretty sure the two of you e-mail each other in your sleep!

    Ok, PARTY at my house...Eva's bringing the ice!

    HUGS!
    grace

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love ice foliage. The crystalized version of our trees and plants creates such an ethereal quality. It almost makes the world look like we've moved to a world of fantasy.

    So, after I look at all of that through my windows, I walk back to my nice heated living room and just stay warm.

    I should have visited your blog a long time ago, Eva.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Twin~ Don't worry. We won't. Back then we didn't have cell numbers or addresses like we do now!! It's kind of hard to avoid each other now!! LOL And I wouldn't have it any other way!

    Grace~ That's just a nasty lie that PK made up. We do NOT email in our sleep. The truth is, we both talk in our sleep so we have been known to have a phone conversation now and then.

    Marcus~ Ice foliage! Hmmmm... when you put it that way it almost sounds nice!! Like you, I stay in the heated living room appreciating the ice from the other side of the wall!!! Glad you're here! Better late than never!

    Hugs!!!

    Eva

    ReplyDelete