
Recently Grace made this comment on my blog: "I was thinking about sending you a translator for when you visit PK. Do you want an electronic one, or a book? That southern accent can be hard to understand sometimes!"
And then she said this on PK's blog: "Actually, I'm thinking of getting Eva a book on Southern translation. I'm pretty sure she might need it."
It got me to thinking so I did a little online research seeing as how I now have plenty of time on my hands.
The following was found here.
My comments are obvious.
I am unequivocal southern. I mean born in a trailer on a tobacco farm, childhood on the back of a tractor, tomato sandwich, secretly hold men who don't carry pocket knives and know how to fix things suspect southern. Now, there are technically southern areas, such as Virginia, who don't share some of the things I do with people I've talked to about this from Alabama and Georgia and North Carolina; there is an area of the country where, well, we do things a certain way. One of them is that one must NOT be direct! I have come to realize that people from other ares just don't understand the code, and that this causes a problem in communication. Therefore, I thought I would use this entry to help them out with a few translations. OK, here is a crash course in what a southerner - particularly a southern girl - really means when she's talking to you.
"Bless her heart" = She's ignorant and I feel sorry for the silly bitch. (PK has said this OFTEN during our conversations. I will pay closer attention to context in the future.)
"Bless his heart". = He's a dumbass who doesn't know any better, the poor bastard. (Ah-ha. It's all starting to make sense now.)
"We have this problem with X and I'm not doing such a great job by myself. I need your help" = Dammit, I'm doing all the work and I'm going to strangle you if you don't get on the ball.
"Honey, I'm at the vet with Stinker and he's hurt! I'm really worried about him." = I'm at the vet and you should show me you love me by dropping whatever you are doing and coming up here right now. Otherwise you will not be getting laid for at least 2 weeks. (Are you listening, Nick?)
"I don't know about all that." = That sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me. (Actually, I think PK uses this as a vice to get people to do things - specifically blogging and computer things - for her).
"right much". = Not quite a LOT, but more than an average amount. You know, right much. (I do believe that is how PK described her last trip over Nick's knee.)
"Well, you know, she tried." = How pathetic. My cow could have done better. (hmmmm....)
"That's just the way he is". = I'll punch you if you say one more thing about my boy. (Well this is certainly understandable. PK and I both know that we are the ONLY ones permitted to whine about our own children.)
"Hey y'all, watch this!" = I am endangering my health and welfare for your amusement! Pay attention and act impressed if I don't break anything! (Actually, those are the words all teachers use when we exit the building for the last time each school year.)
"That's nice". = That's not nice, or I don't give a rat's ass, depending on the circumstances. Anyway, shutup. (Well, okay then. Mental note to self... retire for the evening when PK says "That's nice.")
Mom to daughter: "Oh, you got your hair done. (silence). " = it looks like you had your hair cut by a blind woodchopper. What the hell were you thinking? You're going to shave that off and get a wig, though, right? (PK really is diplomatic like this.)
Guy to woman: "Oh, honey, I don't care none about my birthday, you don't have to get me anything." = get me something. something cool. it's my birthday, woman.
Woman to guy: "Oh honey, don't worry about Valentine's day. I know you love me." = You had better show up with something, but make it more original than roses and chocolate. Don't be late, either, unless you want to be taking cold showers until you have made this up to me.
Hope that helps the less rural of you, bless your hearts!
---~~~ooo000ooo~~~---
And to really educate myself about southern-ese I turned to the pro himself... Mr. Jeff Foxworthy.
If you really want to learn more about what's in the book grace sent me, go here. It's quite educational.
So anyhow, on that note, I'll hush now because I'm sure my twin is chompin' at the bit to chime in here. Come on, PK you know you want to. Can't wait to hear what you have to say!!!
That's nice.
ReplyDeleteand something we learned livin in the south! IF you want anything, always tell a story.. why you want it, what inspired you etc..... works much better! Direct questions just don't work! THey need the background.. if your telling the story it shortens the process because they can give you the most intellegent advice. it is one of the things we miss most about the south! We yankees just don't have the time for in depth understanding of needs.. oh yes,if you're ordering through a drive through make sure that number four has at least 2-3 syllabals. :-)
ReplyDeleteoh and the SEC is EVERYTHING...GO VOLS!!!!!
Carye
I laughed my good old Va redneck ass off reading this. Pk when your comment came up I fell out of my chair.
ReplyDeleteYou two are just pure evil. When both of you meet I can just picture you all passin the jug of shine backin forth lol
I am soooo glad I'm from Texas and we don't need books like that! *g*
ReplyDelete~Hugs!
Well I think Eve acting just like a Yankee scoundrel, bless her heart!
ReplyDeleteLove, Cassie
I don't know about all that Eva!
ReplyDeleteHuggs
Theresa
OK, Eva, now you might be pushing it just a little bit, but then , I guess in honor of the beginning of your summer break, that makes perfect (purrfect) sense...
ReplyDeleteNow all that's left is for Adam to tan your hide but good for picking on your very best friend...
Love ya,
Tiggs
Eva, great post and a very funny video, do you think you-all could stop fighting the Civil War and just kiss and make up. Chuckle.
ReplyDeletePK's comment was beautiful.
Warm hugs,
Paul.
Paul's comment is great.My family says bless your heart and i declare and ya'll all the time.Ahhh..us southerners gotta' love us!
ReplyDeleteWhat a hoot! Loved the video, gotta love Jeff Foxworthy and Alan Jackson, right????? Y'all are going to have such a good visit!
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Kallisto
Wow, what a great idea I had!
ReplyDeleteBless her heart, poor PK doesn't even think she has an accent!
Of course, that's just the way she is!!!
HUGS!
grace
Bless yore hart, Eva, us Jawjuh gals jess "luv ewe to death!" (Haw, they didden have that wawn in the he-ikshawnairy, huh?)
ReplyDeleteBTW, Reverse is pronounced with the emphasis on the first syllable, not the second...
Now, all you winder washas up nothe doan never say anythin wrong, ri-et?
Huggs,
Reesa
Twin~ I'm still waiting for your REAL comment.
ReplyDeleteCarye~ See? That's what I LIKE about the north. You don't have to explain everything. They get it by just telling the short version.
David~ This shine that you speak of... surely you do not believe a northerner such as myself would ever... could ever...oh, my.
Maggie~ So have you lived in your little dellusional world for very long? Do you like it there? hehehe
Cassie~ Hey!! Did you just call me a silly bitch?? ROFLMAO
Theresa~ ROFL Oh yes you do and whether it sounds like BS to you or not, you know EXACTLY what this post is all about.
Tiggr~ Are you kidding me? Adam and I are a team and I'm sure when the moment comes he is going to do some picking himself!!
Paul~ Shhhh... I would NEVER ever tell PK this because it would kill what hope she has left. The only reason I keep the civil war alive is because she thinks there is hope of the south rising again and it makes her happy to hold onto that little dream of hers. I'm kidding of course. I LOVE my southern friends and do wish I could live there with them!!
mthc~ Oh, I do love southerners!! Truth be known, yankees are a rude bunch.
Kallisto~ I love the video too. I'm not sure I liked the idea of exploiting the heavy set guy but figured he was exploiting himself so that makes it funny. I did however love the concept of the folks in Georgia screwing up the olympics southern style. hehehe
Grace~ I know it. She is a stubborn one, huh?
Reesa~ Well, hmmmm.. .how do I say this? YOU JUST PROVED MY POINT!! If you have to spell words weird so that people will say them the way you think they should be said then YOU HAVE AN ACCENT. Looks to me like you just hosed yourself and all other southerners who are sitting there nodding and agreeing with you. ROFLMAO
Gosh, I love you southerners.
Hugs~
Eva
Yes, for awhile now! It's quite comfortable. People don't bother me as much as they used to! *g*
ReplyDeleteMaggie~ hehehe You're funny!!
ReplyDeleteWell, yes, that was the point! LOL but I never said I didn't have an accent! I have a great southern accent, if I do say so myself, LOL
ReplyDeleteHuggs,
Reesa