Wednesday, May 21, 2008

You Don't Know Me

You.

You know who you are.

And I wonder if you knew me, if you would have still been so cruel.

After struggling to find our way out of your city last night we were relieved after a half hour of going in circles to have finally found the highway we needed. It was especially frustrating to approach intersection after intersection with traffic lights not working. We watched for a cue from one of the policemen before venturing into each intersection each time.

We listened as one of your finest yelled at one who tried to sneak through before you told her to do so. I think she thought it was a four way stop because your finest would get a stream of traffic going then step out of the intersection onto the curb. With no one there in view, how was she to know you were directing her? Did your finest really have to shout at her like that?

And then today, I was the one behind the wheel struggling to find my way out of your city. Again, the police stood on the curb stepping out only to wave on a different stream of traffic. As I sat at one of these intersections I only began to notice it was taking a very long time for one of your three police to switch lines of traffic. It was right then it dawned on me that your finest at this particular intersection were expecting us to treat it as a four way stop. I have no problem with that but was caught off guard after watching a police officer scream at a woman who did just that last night... treat it as a four way stop, that is.

So just as I gathered my wits I looked to my left where one of your officers screamed at me, asking "What are you going to do?"

In reality I had no clue what to do. I'm a stranger in your city and my GPS kept insisting I head the wrong way on your one way streets.

And I wonder...

If your officer knew why I was in your city, would she have yelled at me in such a demeaning way? If she knew how worried I am about my husband right now... if she knew how frustrated I was trying to find my way... would she still have yelled? Would she have cared that her demeaning screech only served to pour salt on the fresh wounds I'm enduring.

And you....

Yes, you....

If YOU knew how that officer had just been so impatient with me... if you knew why I was there to begin with... if you knew my fear and frustration for my husbands health and well being... if you knew how close to the edge of a total mental collapse that I am, would you have sped up like that when I tried to get into the lane you were in? Would you have laid on your horn and not let up from it like you did?

Would you have cared that I was hurt, lost, confused, frustrated, angry, and lonely? Would you have eased up on the horn? The gestures?

What I wanted to do was stop my car right there and block your path completely. I wanted to make you just wait while I cried out the anger and frustration.

Instead I felt my anger rising, my frustration mounting.

Yup. I stuck my hand out the window and flipped you off. Brake checked you a few times too.

You didn't seem to care though cuz you kept your hand on your horn, and your other hand out the window flipping me off.

I guess you didn't see how very much I needed you to give me a break and not add to my already very full plate.

I know you don't know me. I know you don't know everything I'm up against right now. That's okay. I just wonder if it would have mattered. Or have we - as a society - sunk so low that we have quit caring when others need a break and a boost.

When did we start to hate each other so deeply?

14 comments:

  1. What a horrible day, what horrible individuals, and how sad to know you probably have friends in that city that know and love you but never knew you were there in need.

    I promise I will think about this post every time I get annoyed and impatient in traffic or anywhere else.

    Please try to feel all of us around you. I swear we are there in every way we can be right now.

    Love you twin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only second what Pk says. patience is something that this world is lacking in. Hang in there and know we are with you and Adam.
    Sending you and your family big hugs and lots of prayers..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just an anonymous "I'm sorry". I wasn't the one who did those things to you, but I'm sure at many points in my life, I've the the thoughless one who added pain to somebody's already aching heart. Best wishes to you and your husband and I hope you have peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry you had to go thru that yesteray. Just know both of you are loved and my thoughts and prayers are with you and Adam

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Already at your wits end and a city's finest pushing you to the brink. A good way to get anger out immediately is to flip someone off. Good for you, Eva.

    I'm so sorry you are going through this. We are here for you. You keep our good thoughts in your heart.

    Love and hugs,

    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eva, yes patience does seem to be in short supply these days.
    What's up with Adam, I hope that he will be alright.
    Like David my thoughts and prarers are with yoy both.
    Love and warm hugs,
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eva, your post will serve as a reminder to be a more courteous, and patient driver- thank you.
    What is the latest word from the medical team on Adam? My prayers continue to be with you and your family.
    Ciao
    I Gal

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sooooo sorry for your struggles through an unknown city amongst your worries...please know I am sending hugs and warm thoughts your way... Love, Terpsichore

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry, and if it were not for the description of the way the officers behaved, I would think it was my city. The people here drive like that, behave like that everywhere. They live a fast paced life, have perfect children, and don't stop to think of others. Luckily, I work a job that deals with real heroes, and have learned to look for real people where I find them. Taking just a few minutes to remember that people may be going through what you are really helps. Thinking of you; hold on tight, praying for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You certainly don't that aggravation right now. If they knew what a sweet person you are, they would not be so cruel towards you but that's just it, they don't know and they don't care. What happened to helpful people. I think it was obvious that you weren't familiar with the area. I just don't get people which is why I have become somewhat bitter in that last year. Some are just so cruel.
    I'm praying for good news about your situation.
    Big Hugs,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  11. Unfortunately the world is at an all time low. Yes, there are those that care, but for the most part, people only care about themselves and nothing more.

    The world is a scary place and being in a city where you are a stranger, makes it all the worse.

    It just goes to show, we ALL have a story. We don't know what the person in the other car, in the line in front of us or walking down the street, is going through.

    I'm so very sorry that YOU had such a horrible time. Things will be ok. This, I know.

    HUGS!
    grace

    ReplyDelete
  12. It can be frustrating and I felt sorry for you...but I am sure all of us who have read your post will remember it and share it with our friends-perhaps one way to improve the world!

    My prayers with you and Adam!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The police yelled at me at the Atlanta airport last Christmas. He also acted like I knew what I was supposed to be doing! Jeesh!

    I decided along time ago people just lose all humanity and manners when they get behind the wheel of a car. I mean do you think that many people would be that rude to you face to face!

    Well I'm glad you survived, and are home safe. Glad Adam is home and recovering. Your in my thoughts!

    Oh and I noticed the ticker. Wow!

    Huggs!
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete