Used to be that I would appear angry in most circumstances. Well the truth is, I probably was torqued about something most of the time. Now though I can walk into places - such as my gynos office - and jokingly say "I'm here to be one of THOSE annoying pain in the butt patients."
The receptionist is a woman I've known since I was about 8 years old. She asked what was going on. I explained to her that the surgeon has yet to receive the documents needed, blah, blah, and blah.
She told me to wait, that she's pretty sure she had seen that on the docs desk very recently. She was gone a while. When she returned she had my file in her hand and showed me PROOF that 2 days earlier they had faxed multiple pages.Hmmmmm......
She then recommended that I call the surgeon and have them double check and if they STILL didn't have it, they would need to call and request it again.
I did that.
They didn't have them. I gave them the number to call. Told them who to ask for. Also told them this was really stressing me out and asked for a phone call pretty please letting me know if/when they got them.
Ten minutes later, as I'm walking through the grocery store, my phone rings.
And all is well.
I went home, put groceries away, showered, and headed back out to get Adam. We drove to the hospital where surgery is to be held for my pre-surgical testing.
It was pretty routine.
The gave me the details as to what time to be at the hospital, etc. I met the anesthesiologist. I had blood drawn. I had an EKG. Blah, blah, blah. Oh, and on the day of my surgery they will do a pregnancy test. If I'm pregnant, the surgery is off. ROFL
Yeah, whatever.
Adam and I stopped for a quick lunch because it was almost 3:00 and I'd had to do the fast thing for the testing and I barely had any water and nothing to eat all day. And like your area probably is, ours too is hot and humid.
I returned him to work and headed home.
It was then that I started to realize that finally ALL hoops had been jumped through. This is really going to happen. Nothing can stop me now.
Ummmmm.......
Well..........
Did you read the comments from yesterday's post? PK said something about the long arm of the law being after me??
Yeah well.....
I get home and there's a letter to me from our county sheriff. Can you guess what that's about?
JURY DUTY!!! Geeze. I have NEVER been summoned for that. I honestly wouldn't mind doing it and think it would really be interesting but here's the deal: Exactly one week after surgery I am to appear at the courthouse every ... EVERY ... morning at 8:30. Until I'm selected for a jury or discharged.
A close friend of mine did this a couple years ago. She went every morning and often sat there till noon when finally given a lunch break. Then she'd be sent home at a later time. Finally after a couple weeks of that, she spent a couple more weeks actually sitting on a jury.
For one thing, I won't be allowed to drive. For another, do you know what the diet is like in the beginning after this surgey? It's constant eating and sipping small amounts not sitting waiting for hours to be let go to the greasy spoon diner across the street from the courthouse.
Can they make me postpone my surgery?
My surgeon's office said if that happens, they can't get me in until NOVEMBER!!!

Ummm... I don't think so, Barney Fife.
In all fairness, the letter said that if I am unable to serve that I must write a letter explaining why and if it's medical I must have a Doctor's excuse.
That has already been faxed to Adam at work. He'll bring it home tonight. (I'm writing this friday night)
The letter is written. It's very polite. I had PK proof it for me so I'm sure she'll have some comment about that.
I will mail it tomorrow which is today ... Saturday. I will mail it Saturday.
They say that I will receive a letter from them as to whether or not I can be excused. I'm trusting that it won't be a problem but you just never know. And if that's the case, not showing up for this is contempt of court naturally.
I could be fined AND jailed.
Get that bail money ready, folks.
Juror #21 is having surgery. In 10 days. Not three months. Ten days.
oh Eva... what's going to happen next?! Well, if you go to jail, you can have my piggy bank money and PK can bake you a cake with a file in it. No.. wait.. PK doesn't cook. Better call Theresa.
ReplyDelete*hugs* Suzy
Eva, I've been a registered voter all my life and thus eligible for jury service. It seems that at seventy I am too old, I'm so glad!!!
ReplyDeleteI have my fingers crossed for you, everything WILL be OK!!!
Warm hugs,
Paul.
ROFLMAO... well, just look t the bright side, Eva: When you're recovering at home the week following surgery, just imagine where you COULD be every day for the next few weeks... sitting and waiting...
ReplyDeleteMeanwhile, you'll have taken a giant step toward the next part of your life, the very best part...
Big hugs and much love,
Tiggs
Hey you stole my bad luck! I hope it all works out. Keep us up to date!
ReplyDeleteHuggs
Theresa
I'm just catching up, Eva, and it's so great to hear you're done with all the pre-op stuff!
ReplyDeleteYou won't have any problem getting out of jury duty with your doctor's note. My problem is that I've been summoned for Aug 13th. I called my neurologist and his secretary said he won't write excuses for jury duty because he was once subpoenaed (sp?) for doing that and had to go to court to testify. So I called my general practitioner, and they said the same thing. So I called the court and they sympathized and told me to write them a letter with some medical records confirming my diagnosis. So now I'm frantically trying to find my MRI report so I can fax it to the court with a letter - if I can't get out of it, what am I supposed to do? I can't sit for more than 20 minutes at a time or stabbing pain sears down my lower back and the back of my left leg. I can't drive for much longer than that. If I have to be on the computer longer than that, I shove the chair away and get down on my knees on the carpet, LOL. I can walk, jump & skip but I don't think they'd care for that... guess I should've blogged this on my own blog, but oh well, LOL
Huggs,
Reesa
Hi Eva!
ReplyDeleteHmmm.. Jury duty? I was on one once. it was fascinating. Didn't think I'd like it but I have to admit it was really interesting. I think if you don't get there and they arrest you after surgery, Adam is going to have to spank you for getting arrested! I'm glad you're through all the hoops! But it sounds like the government just added one on you!
Carye
Remember there is one more hoop! Didn't you say they do a pregnancy test the day of surgery? I'll keep my fingers crossed!
ReplyDeleteLove you Twin!
I am glad you are hopping right on the jury duty thing. I imagine with the doc note and all, they will excuse you---I sure hope so! Best wishes to you--especially with regards to the upcoming surgery! You will be in my thoughts!
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Kallisto